Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Measuring the distances

I have what you have not. I am what you are not. I have taken what you have failed to take and I have seized what you could never get. Therefore you suffer and I am happy, you are despised and I am praised, you die and I live; you are nothing and I am something, and I am all the more something because you are nothing.
And thus I spend my life admiring the distance between you and me;
At times this even helps me to forget the other men who have what I have not and who have taken what I was too slow to take and who have seized what was beyond my reach, who are praised as I cannot be praised and who live on my death...

The man who lives in division is living in death.

Thomas Merton- New Seeds of Contemplation

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree. In my simplicity, division in anything causes disharmony which will eventually cause the death of the organization, relationship or ones walk with God and their fellow man. Some times division is necessary for survival, but should be the path of last resort.

    ReplyDelete