Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Who's Afraid of Harry Potter #2

So here's my thought ...

Let's group HP fans into two categories, 1) the casual reader and 2) the intrigued reader.

I classify the casual reader as someone who reads the book series and moves on to the next popular series. I don't believe this is the reader that the church gets nervous about.

The intrigued reader is someone who, now having read the series, is driven to pursue the subject matter (magic and the supernatural.) I believe this is what the church is afraid of...people/children ignorantly being drawn into the supernatural and lured into darkness. Moving out of the realm of observer and into the role of participant.

As the church, we must flip the script.....

Wouldn't the church just LOVE members who want to move out of the realm of observer and into the role of participant?

Could it be that these are the people built with a desire and propensity to (in the words of John Wimber) "do the stuff?" (
Heal the sick, raise the dead, cleanse those who have leprosy, drive out demons. Matthew 10:8)

As a church we can stand and proclaim "No, no, no, no, no.....bad, bad,bad."

Or we can cry out, "Come, find here what you were made for....find here what you were built to do, find here the source of all life, and love, and power. Come and find the answers to the questions that have been plaguing your heart. Come meet Jesus. Come home."

Of course then we would need a group of loving, knowledgeable, believers willing to disciple and pastor and shepherd these people. Hmmmmmm....that's a whole other subject.

2 comments:

  1. Write more of these, they're great! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm definably a intrigued Harry Potter fan! I love it, love it, love it! ;)

    ReplyDelete